This week has been a little tough. Truth be told, it could have been much tougher, but the midweek birthday wishes helped A LOT. Still, going back to gray Paris is not such fun, so I need a little sun in my eyes, and in my mouth.
Enter this dip. I have been making this dip for a few months now, and oh my I am so in love with it. I am, I am not even exaggerating. What beats a tasty, exotic, fancy-looking, fairly healthy dip ready in under 5 minutes? Nothing, that’s what.
If you have never encountered zaatar, Wikipedia will help you much more than me, but I can tell you that it’s a sorta thyme-based Middle Eastern spice, and it’s so good. You will most likely find it… at a Middle Eastern grocery store. Enjoy your well-deserved second weekend of January! You’ll see, with this dip on the menu, 2013 will shape up to be a much brighter year than 2012.
Feta and yogurt dip with zaatar
Prep time: 5 minutes
No cooking time
Yields one bowl
- 3.5 oz feta cheese
- 5 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp zaatar
1. Mash the feta with a fork. In a bowl, mix together the feta and yogurt with a fork. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp zaatar and stir well.
2. Sprinkle the top of the dip with the rest of the zaatar and drizzle the rest of the olive oil. Serve immediately with pita bread or keep refrigerated.
- The measurements are easily doubled.
- Adjust the amount of zaatar to your taste.
- Do not add salt! Feta cheese is salty enough.
Source: The illustrated food and cooking of Lebanon, Jordan and Syria, by Ghillie Basan.