This is a quick and easy recipe in case you have a piece of steak and you’re not feeling very inspired as to what to do with it. It works wonders with not-so-tender meat, and a barbeque or a plancha. The olive oil will simply tenderize it, and the herbs add a bit of flavor. That’s it. I discovered that eating good grilled meat could be as simple as that through a friend who grilled it for us on his Harlem rooftop last year. Maybe the view on the Manhattan skyline helped a bit, but as I first bit into the meat, I felt I was eating the most tender and buttery thing in the world. Try it without the skyline, I’m sure it will work too.
Quick marinated grilled steak
Prep time : 5 minutes + 1 hour chill time
Cooking time : 10 minutes
- 4 beef steaks (flank or sirloin for instance)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp herbs de Provence
- salt and pepper
1. Place the steaks in a shallow dish, then add olive oil and herbs. Gently massage the steaks to incorporate the oil and herbs on all sides. Season with salt and pepper, then refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Heat a plancha, barbeque or skillet. When the surface is very hot, add the steaks, cook according to your taste. Serve immediately.
- Add 2 tsp paprika to the marinade if you wish.
- You can also shred the cooked beef, and serve it with homemade mashed potatoes for another version of a shepherd’s pie.